st: Re: destringing

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: destringing
Date   Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:59:59 -0400

On Aug 28, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Suzy wrote:

I used the destring option because I wasn't able to analyze the data as
is - I would get error messages regarding not being able to analyze
string. These values are codes that represent disorders, so you are
correct. But since I am a fairly new user of Stata, I just figured that
it couldn't read those values because of the dashes or the alpha-numeric
since the datapoints that were only numbers were read and analyzed with
no problem.
encode is the answer to this problem. You cannot do anova, for instance, on a string variable, but you can once you have encoded it, and it will still display the 'words' (disorder codes) on the levels of the variable--it is just that they are now value labels for the variable rather than values.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/