[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]
Re: st: Re: destringing
Thanks so much for everyone's help. I am enclosing the code and output I
used that drove me to my problems.:
First, here is my reduced infile and Stata's output:
. infix var11-2 var2 3 var3 4 var4 5-6 var5.... 7 dxcode1 28-32
dxcode2 33-37 dxcode3 38-42 dxcode4 43-47 dxcode5 48-52 dxcode6 53-57
dxcode7 58-62 procode1 63-66 procode2 67-70 procode3 71-74 procode4
Here was Stata's output:
5990-' cannot be read as a number for dxcode6
'2874-' cannot be read as a number for dxcode7
2765-' cannot be read as a number for dxcode3
'E9331' cannot be read as a number for dxcode4
'V1005' cannot be read as a number for dxcode5
I contacted Stata and they told me to modify the dxcode1-dxcode 7 and
add str5dxcode...which I did.
Here was the infile code for the modification: I also had to do the same
for procode1-4 as these variables also had some aplha-numeric datapoints.
. infix var11-2 var2 3 var3 4 var4 5-6 var5.... 7.... str5 dxcode1
28-32 str5 dxcode2 33-37 str5 dxcode3 38-42 str5 dxcode4 43-47 str5
dxcode5 48-52 str5 dxcode6 53-57 str5 dxcode7 58-62 str4 procode1 63-66
str4 procode2 67-70 str4 procode3 71-74 procode4 using
With this command - my dataset came in with no problem.
But then , trying to analyze anything with the dxcode or procode
variable name returned this type of output:
. tab dxcode1 if dxcode1==V3000
V3000 not found
I also tried this:
tab dxcode1 if dxcode1==v3000
v3000 not found
tab dxcode1 if dxcode1==27500 (just numeric)
That's why I then went ahead and used the destring (and force)
option...which made the dash and alpha-numerics disappear as missing
datapoints - but did allow me to read the pure numeric numbers under
these variable names.
Stata technicians did not tell me that when I added the str5 and str4 to
those variables during infix - that my data would not be able to be
read. So this is the full story.
As of now, I have reentered my data with the str5 and str4 and I am
back at square one - which is how do I get Stata to read these 11 string
variables (dxcodes1-7 and procode1-4)?
I hope this information is more specific. I needed to go back and replay
my steps in order to remember what I had done, so I apologize for less
detailed information in the previous e-mails.
I am fairly new to Stata and not very computer programming savvy - so
simple is most appreciated. I will feel relieved rather than offended!!
Many thanks to those who have responded thus far!
If I go to the data viewer there are over 100 consecutive V3000
datapoints starting from obs1...so it is physically present.
To make things very simple, I only need to read a few of these string
variables - not all of them. For example, I need to be able to read
4019- Ultimately though, it would be nice to have all the datapoints
read, so I don't miss anything by accident.
Christopher F Baum wrote:
On Aug 28, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Suzy wrote:
I used the destring option because I wasn't able to analyze the data as
is - I would get error messages regarding not being able to analyze
string. These values are codes that represent disorders, so you are
correct. But since I am a fairly new user of Stata, I just figured that
it couldn't read those values because of the dashes or the alpha-numeric
since the datapoints that were only numbers were read and analyzed with
encode is the answer to this problem. You cannot do anova, for
instance, on a string variable, but you can once you have encoded it,
and it will still display the 'words' (disorder codes) on the levels
of the variable--it is just that they are now value labels for the
variable rather than values.
* For searches and help try:
* For searches and help try: