st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing

From   "Wallace, John" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:03:58 -0700

You might want to consider -encode- instead of destring.  Presumably you're
starting with string variables.  Encode will create a new variable with
incrementing value in (I believe) alphabetical order of the original
variable, plus it will make a value label corresponding to the original
string.  This is useful if you need to be able to relate the new variable
value back to the original string.

.encode var1, gen(code1)

-----Original Message-----
From: Suzy []
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 2:45 PM
Subject: st: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing

Dear Statalisters;

I have seven variables of over 300,000 observations each. Within each
variable, I have over 2000 different  values.  These datapoints
represent  specific codes - for example : (72200  = intervertebral disc
disorder). Within each of these  seven variables, there are datapoints
(values) with dashes or alphabets (Ie: 4109-  or V2389).  The majority
of the values though, are purely numeric (23405). I used the destring
option so that I could analyze the data and Stata treated all those
datapoints that included dashes and alphabets as missing. Now there is a
period . where there used to be a value.  I have two questions:

1. Will the restring option restore the datapoints?

2. How can I successfully "destring" these values so that I can include
them in my analysis?

Any  help and/or specific code would be very helpful as I am only
marginally competent with Stata basics.

Thank you!