Re: st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing

From   Suzy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:02:56 -0400

Hi John,

I don't know if this matters but I'm not starting with purely string variables. I have variables that have datapoints of which some are string and some are numeric. Also John, would the destring option restore my original values as now the destringed values are missing....
Suzy

Wallace, John wrote:

Suzy
You might want to consider -encode- instead of destring. Presumably you're
starting with string variables. Encode will create a new variable with
incrementing value in (I believe) alphabetical order of the original
variable, plus it will make a value label corresponding to the original
string. This is useful if you need to be able to relate the new variable
value back to the original string.

e.g.
.encode var1, gen(code1)

-JW