st: poisson regression

From   "Ann E Fitzmaurice" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: poisson regression
Date   Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:32:08 +0100

Ann E Fitzmaurice
Medical Statistician

University of Aberdeen
Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Aberdeen Maternity Hospital
Cornhill Road, Aberdeen.  AB25 2ZL

Tel:  +44 (0) 1224 553876
Fax: +44 (0) 1224 553708

I have data on 400000 persons and 50000 of them have been pregnant

I can aggregate the file to count the number pregnant within each age
group and hence work out a rate (no pregnant/total number in that age

I would then merge the rates back into the original file (if necessary)

It has been suggested that I model the rate and adjust the rate for the
persons deprivation status using poisson regression with a cluster of
region, I think this would make it multilevel model poisson regression

Is this possible in stata and how would I be able to measure the
variation between clusters

Any help much appreciated