st: Re: Creating a variable with a Panel Data Set

From   "Daniel Egan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Creating a variable with a Panel Data Set
Date   Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:00:25 -0400

Hi Ann,

Ann asked <snip>  I am able to create a variable for number of days in a
team, but it counts by the number of calendar days rather than working days.
I was wondering if anyone knew which commands and exactly how to create the
variable so that is counts the number of working days that a worker was on a
team. <snip>

*First, make sure that your date variable is in date format. If it is not,
you will need to generate it to be (search date functions).

des date
*should return     %d.....
*Then, created a day-of-week variable corresponding to each date:

gen dowd=dow(date)

*use a dummy to indicate work days

gen weekD=1
replace weekD=0 if dowd==5 | dowd==0

then use the dummy to filter out weekend days. This can be done a number of
ways, depending on the structure of your cross section.

Good luck,

Dan