st: Creating a variable with a Panel Data Set

From   Ann Hapanowicz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Creating a variable with a Panel Data Set
Date   Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:47:24 -0400

Hi:

I am a Hamilton College student working on an independent project and I have a question about creating a variable for a data set that I am using to look at the relationship between worker productivity and a firm's human resource management practices.  I have a panel data set for a firm that is a  cross sectional unit by worker with a daily time dimension.  I  would like to create a variable that calculates the number of days a worker has been on a team.  The dates run from  Jan99-Nov01 and I have the date and measure of productivity for each worker on every day that they worked at the firm.  I also have a variable that tells the date of when a worker joined a team.  There are observations only if a worker worked on that date.  The date variable is in the form of "02Jan01".

I am able to create a variable for number of days in a team, but it counts by the number of calendar days rather than working days.  I was wondering if anyone knew which commands and exactly how to create the variable so that is counts the number of working days that a worker was on a team.

Thanks for your help,

Ann Hapanowicz

* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/