st: RE: postgr3 graph options

From   "Mitchell, Michael" <[email protected]>
To   "David Airey" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: postgr3 graph options
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:34:47 -0700

Dear David
  Thanks for your kind words about xi3 and postgr3.  I should emphasize
that we did not write these tools from scratch, but cobbled them
together from the Stata "xi" command, the "desmat" command, and the
"spostado" commands.  This would only have been possible by cobbling
these great tools together because we could never have made this from
scratch.
  I suspect you might have an older version of "postgr3"... if you type
"findit postgr3" you can get the latest version from the ats.ucla.edu
web site and the help file should indicate that graph options are
permitted. Here is an example for you to try to test if it is working...

* use our standard hsb2 data file
use http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/notes/hsb2, clear

* include female by race as an interaction
xi3: regress read g.female*h.race math

* a standard postgr3, but the legend is really awkward
postgr3 race, by(female)

* the same as above, but with graph options to improve the legend.
postgr3 race, by(female) legend(label(1 Males) label(2 Females))

To the best of my knowledge, you should be able to append just about any
Stata 8 graph options you should want to pretty up the graph and make it
publication quality. If any such options bomb on you, let me know so I
can investigate.

Warmest regards,

Michael Mitchell
Statistical Consulting Group