st: Error message: input too long; after lab def

From   Tobias Hubert <>
Subject   st: Error message: input too long; after lab def
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:18:18 +0200

my problem is the following:

After reading in a very big data-set of the German Mikrozensus with an .dct file, I used a do-file. First I defined all variable labels and then I assigned the labels to the variables with a normal do-file. There are about 450 variables with partly a large number of values.

After some time the command sequence - label define - stops and the message "input too long" occurs.
What can be the reason for this?
Stata Version 8.2 for Windows.
Memory is set to the maximum.
Dividing the label-define sequence in four parts and then assigning the parts immediatly isn't a solution either, the process stops at the same point.

* For searches and help try: