st: Re: quietly opsys

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: quietly opsys
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:12:51 -0400

On Aug 10, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Mark wrote:

Anyone have any insight on -quietly- making calls to operating system
commands ? I have tried commands of the form

qui ! op_command

to no avail --- stata does not respect the -quietly- with a call to the
shell. Any ideas on workarounds? I am running both stata (SE 8.2) for
windows and unix. I have some second best solutions (such as treating the
symptoms by turning the log on and off at appropriate times to minimze the
size of the log file) but was hoping to treat the disease.

thanks in advance-

One can always send the output from the command to hyperspace----

. !ls -la >/dev/null

produces nothing but another dot prompt.

KIt