RE: st: looping across an unknown number of columns

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: looping across an unknown number of columns
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:54:40 +0100

Two kinds of answer:

1. As you -reshape- to wide a variable name like
-foo- will become the stub of a set of
variable names, so in many cases a wildcard like
-foo*- will be sufficient to characterise
the set. That wouldn't be precise enough if
you also had e.g. -foot-. You might need
e.g. -foo????-.

Typically you can loop over such
a set of variables using -foreach- without
knowing how many of them exist. One way to
count them would be

unab foo : foo*
local nvars : word count `foo'

2. It may be that what you want to do
is much more efficiently done within the long
structure before the -reshape-, or without the
-reshape-.

Jason Rachlin