st: RE: Compact list of correlation, by cross-section

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Compact list of correlation, by cross-section
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:53:55 +0100

The condition "if idn == `i'" is not only illegal,
but in any case irrelevant to the -display-.
It should just be omitted. That is, the -correlate-
command already took care of the restriction
you want, and there is only one correlation
available to display, so no ambiguity.

As it happens, there are other solutions. Here
are two:

* The -egenmore- package on SSC includes a -corr()-
function, so that I think you need something like

egen corr = corr(x y), by(id)
tabdisp id, c(corr)

* -statsby- offers an even simpler solution,
but you lose your data. That may or may not be
what you want.

statsby "corr x y" corr=r(rho) , by(id)

Incidentally, -generate- accepts -if- conditions.

Michael S. Hanson