st: FAQ on Pseudo-R2 for tobit

From   Michael Ash <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: FAQ on Pseudo-R2 for tobit
Date   Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:54:53 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to understand better the meaning of a negative
value of pseudo-R2 for tobit.  There is a treatment of the
question in the Stata FAQ's at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/pseudor2.html

The pseudo-R2 is defined as 1 - L1/L0 (where L1 is the LL
with variables and L0 is the LL for constant only) and the
FAQ notes that because f(x) can exceed 1 for non-discrete
density functions, either L1 or L0 can be positive:

  For continuous distributions, the log-likelihood is the log
  of a density. Since density functions can be greater than 1
  (cf. the normal density at 0), the log-likelihood can be
  positive or negative.

I am confused by the invocation of the normal density
function in the paragraph because phi(0) is 0.39894228 (in
Stata, "display normden(0)").  (Is that right?)  But I think
the point is that f(x) can exceed 1 for some non-discrete
pdf's; hence log(f(x)) is not necessarily negative and the
pseudo-R2 can be negative (or greater than one).  Can
someone clarify or verify?

I also have a practical question: a colleague is getting
large negative pseudo-R2 from a tobit, around -0.30.  Does
this indicate a problem or can we take seriously the FAQ,
that "For many models, including tobit, the pseudo-R2 has no
real meaning."

Best regards,

Michael Ash, Assistant Professor
  of Economics and Public Policy