st: Error message - too many variables?

From   "Peters, J.L." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Error message - too many variables?
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:18:50 +0100

Hi.

I wondered if anyone had encountered the following error message & how they dealt with it:

no room to add more variables
    An attempt was made to add a variable that would have resulted in more
    than 2048 or 2047 variables (Stata reserves one variable for its own use).
    You have the following alternatives:

     1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.

     2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar; see help maxvar.
r(900);

For a number of different scenarios of a meta-analysis, I am simulating 1000 datasets - these datasets contain up to 100 observations (the primary studies in the meta-analysis) and 15 variables.

Each dataset is meta-analysed and the results are posted to a file. This file of results then contains 1000 observations and 24 variables.

Any suggestions on why I might be getting this error message would be appreciated.
Jaime

Jaime Peters, Statistician
Biostatistics and Genetic Epidemiology
Department of Health Sciences