st: Marginal Effects

From   peter harper <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Marginal Effects
Date   Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:49:21 +0100 (BST)

Dear Statalist
I am trying to do marginal effects after oprobit.
I have run a oprobit regression on a dependent
variable, which is called price3. Its other
categories
are price2 and price1, which obviously I have not
used. So after I have run
 . oprobit price3 x1  x2 x3
 I issued the command
 . mfx compute, predict(outcome(3))
 the message I got was put a value of price3 or
 #1,#2...
 or worde to that effect
 so I tried
 . mfx compute, predict(outcome(#3))
 the message I then got was there is no category 3,
 there are only 2 categories.
 I suspect, this is because this price3 itself is
 categorised under 0 and 1. 0 is people who do not
 think price is important and 1 is for people who
 think
 price is important.
 so I ran a marginal effects using
 .mfx compute, predict (outcome(#2)
 All I should want is M.E. of price3 is it not? as I
 have run the oprobit using that variable. So I ran
 . mfx compute, predict(outcome(#2))
 Is that the right thing to do, as I want the M.E.
 for
 the regression I ran with the dependent variable as
 price3.
 Please confirm, if I am doing it correctly.
Please let me know if you need further clarification.
Thanks in advance