st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy

From   "Sugie Lee" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy
Date   Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:00:27 -0400

Hello!
I want someone to help me on a following question.
Let's suppose we have three cities (city A, city B, city C).
And we have just one variable which is population density(POPDEN)

I may try regular regression as follows:
.reg POPDEN dummy(city A) dummy(city B)

What if I use multinomial logit?
In this case, the dependent variable is "CITY"(A,B,C)

.mlogit CITY POPDEN
.listcoef

I want to see differences of population density between cities.
"listcoef" command immediately after "mlogit" will give me these
differences.

My question is whether I can use mlogit for this case?

If mlogit is possible for this case, I will do analysis with more
independent variables as follows:
.mlogit CITY POPDEN INDEP2 INDEP3 INDEP4

Any comments and suggestions will be helpful to me.
Thanks.

Sugie