Re: st: a statistical question.

From   Joseph Coveney <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   Re: st: a statistical question.
Date   Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:13:44 +0900

>generally speaking,if i want to do a chi2 test,the expacted count of each cell
>should more than 5.but if i have less,what statistical test should i take? is
>fisher's exact test a good idea?

There's controversy among the experts about both the rule of thumb and whether
Fisher's exact test is best (see, for example, ).  But in most
cases, it probably doesn't matter greatly.

>my data table is as follow,and if i use exact test ,the p-valuve is
>it wise to use it? thank you !
>	col
>row	1	2	3	Total
>1	6	12	2	20
>2	18	68	43	129
>3	9	4	1	14
>Total	33	84	46	163

I recommend avoiding stating p-values as equal to zero.  Rather, I recommend in
this case stating it as "P<0.005" if you don't know it with any more precision.
 If you're using Stata (-tabulate row col, exact-), then you can get the value
by typing -return list-, which in the case of this table is 0.0002.

Joseph Coveney