st: RE: ODBC and relational database

From   "Farmer, Robert M" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ODBC and relational database
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:15:23 -0400

Generally speaking, ODBC connections are handled by the Operating System.  Stata specifically states that only Windows is supported at this time.

Assuming that you are using windows, under Start you'll find the Control Panel.  In the control panel you'll find Administrative Tools.  Under Administrative tools you 'll find Data Sources (ODBC)  ... or something of that nature, the words change from system to system.

This Data Sources is where you'll set up the ODBC call for whatever product your using.  It's not hard, and not really complicated, and there should be documentation on the system.  Once you have the DataSource set up, the rest is simply telling Stata what table the data you want resides in and the variables (columns) within the table.  It's one of those things where the first 3 times you tear your hair out, but after that, it's easy.

There are several forums that deal with connectivity issues.  Most are probably too technical for you to use on a daily basis, but they WILL answer beginners questions with where to find information.  You might try http://searchvb.techtarget.com/forums/0,289802,sid8,00.html for a start.  I don't know them, but layout seems to indicate that they know what they are doing.

Good Luck
RFarmer
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Kathryn Jervis
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 10:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: ODBC and relational database

I am looking for a book or journal article that explains how to use
Stata with relational databases.  I think that I use the ODBC command,
and I have read that reference online, but still I am uncertain about
how to get just the data that I need from the database.

Thanks

Kathryn J. Jervis, Ph.D.
Washington and Lee University
Williams School of Commerce, Economics and Politics
Lexington, VA 24450
mailto:[email protected]
Office: 540.458.8628
Fax: 540.458.8639