st: RE: Re: wishlist - active dataset name in title bar

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: wishlist - active dataset name in title bar
Date   Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:56:19 +0100

The principle of uniformity across platforms
is very important in Stataland, but not
an absolute. There are now lots of platform-specific
features, often tiny details which make things just
a little easier.

I wouldn't want StataCorp to put something like
this on the Mac version if it was alien to that
OS, but at least for Windows, this seems natural
and useful to me. I often have multiple Statas open, and even
with two I can get confused on which is using
which dataset.

On the specific problem, one answer is
provided by my favourite text editor.
At present I have multiple copies of that
open and the bars show names like

whatever.ado (c:\ado\...

somethingelse.ado (c:...

In short, the filename should go first
and the rest of the path afterwards. There
is almost never enough space for more than
a bit of the full name, but there is usually
enough space to provide some useful information.

David Vaughan