st: collapse panel data for each year

From   "sarah smith" <>
Subject   st: collapse panel data for each year
Date   Fri, 28 May 2004 15:46:14 +0000

Dear Stata users:

I have panel data for several industries in 40 countries for 20 years. For each year, I am trying to collapse the data by country. I tried to use foreach and forvalues commands, but could not work it out. I would appreciate if you can help me.

From: "Nick Cox" <>
To: <>
Subject: st: RE: retrieving a three-letter word from a string variable
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:04:51 +0100

One way to do this is

gen whatever = "HMV" if index(myvar, "HMV")

If you're fond of -cond()- you might prefer

gen whatever = cond(index(myvar, "HMV"), "HMV", "")

Neither is a retrieval solution, but the
result is the same.

Another way to do it is through retrieval:

gen whatever = substr(myvar,index(myvar, "HMV"),3)
	if index(myvar, "HMV")

but I can't see any advantage to that.

Dev Vencappa

>  I have a dataset that contains several string variables.
> Suppose one string variable contains the following values in
> one of the observations:
> Another string variable contains :
> I want stata to create a new variable that retrieves only the
> three-letter word "HMV" from the string variable. I
> understand that the substr command does that but because the
> starting point of the word HMV is not the same for every
> variable , it would be difficult to identify the correct
> starting position to read the string and retrieve the first
> three letters HMV.
> Can somebody help please? I have tried the other string
> commands but could not understand one that does what I want.

*   For searches and help try:
Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball Gameday Audio!

* For searches and help try: