Re: st: unable to install...right click

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unable to install...right click
Date   Fri, 28 May 2004 16:17:05 +0100

Kit wrote:

To:             	[email protected]
From:           	Kit Baum <[email protected]>
Subject:        	st: unable to install...right click
Date sent:      	Fri, 28 May 2004 15:49:14 +0100
Send reply to:  	[email protected]

> John wrote
>
> I am interested in the inability to execute the
> "right-click-and-save-as"
> option; as from my previous post, that is what I have to do all the
> time due
> to the #$%^*&#@ firewall.
>
> I am using bog-standard Internet Explorer (V6) without any problems
> with
> the "right-click-and-save-as" option. Is this a function of browsers or
> what?
>
> First of all, a "right click" would seem to imply a multi-button mouse.
> There are those who use single-button mice who do not have such
> options.
>
> Second, there is no download of these materials from "RePEc". The RePEc
> database is accessible from several services, and each one will support
> a slightly different interface in a web browser. At IDEAS
> (http://ideas.repec.org), there is a radio button + download button
> that initiates a download (and runs a script), so there can be no
> right-clicking (whatever that means).
> At EconPapers, there is a link to each downloadable item. If I
> option-click on a link in my browser (Safari) it downloads the item
> rather than displaying it in a window.

I can confirm that IE6 allows a "right-click-and-download" from
EconPapers. The webpage for ivreg2, for example,

http://econpapers.hhs.se/software/bocbocode/S425401.htm

has "right-clickable" links to the components, as opposed to the
RePEc download buttons.

...So the answer for those who are stuck behind an overzealous
firewall and need to install a Stata module by hand is to do it via
EconPapers (and not RePEc, as I had suggested),
http://econpapers.hhs.se, and to download directly rather than open
the .ado and .hlp files in their browsers.

There, that was easy!

--Mark

> So the confusion regarding what can and cannot be done is perhaps not
> so much mouse- nor browser-specific as RePEc-service-specific.
> EconPapers is more amenable to the 'download this item' strategy than
> is IDEAS. Both services have the same content in terms of SSC items
> (give or take one day's changes, since they refresh at different
> times).
>
> Kit Baum
> SSC archive maintainer

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3008 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator
http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/cert