st: quantiles in panel data

From   "Andrea Molinari" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: quantiles in panel data
Date   Mon, 24 May 2004 14:37:42 +0100

Dear all,
I am trying to divide a variable (tariffs) into three categories: low,
medium and high.
My sample has 21 countries over 22 years, but I need a homogeneous
definition across all of them.
Could anyone suggest the best way of summarising (and building up) these
I have been suggested to use the xtile command -with the option nq(3), but I
am not sure if this would be the most appropriate in a panel context?
Thanks very much for any suggestions/ideas!