st: RE: Re: Transparent background in graphics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Transparent background in graphics
Date   Thu, 20 May 2004 11:15:48 +0100

-search- does not in general bring up option names. That may
sound a limitation, but the converse would mean that in many
examples you would be swamped by false positives. Imagine
-search-ing for -generate- and getting a list of all the
commands with a -generate()- option. Also many option names
are intelligible when known, but difficult to guess in
advance. Naturally that doesn't rule out in principle

. search ..., options

i.e. keywords which are options would not be listed
unless asked for. In total I doubt that documenting
options would be worth the effort.

-findit- depends, in the case of stuff written by
users, on descriptions they put in package files.
Usually they do not include option details.

-search- depends on a database of keywords which
are in a set of files stata*.key. I've found StataCorp
very receptive to suggestions of extra keywords
or of fixes to these files, which can be and are
updated promptly.

In this case something like

. search background color

would be a better bet; I've not read all the results
but it may well be that -bgcolor()- remains undocumented.

Friedrich Huebler