Re: st: the impute command

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: the impute command
Date   Wed, 19 May 2004 10:13:10 -0500

At 10:56 AM 5/19/2004 -0400, Robert Bozick wrote:
Hello -

I have a few questions concerning the impute command.

I am trying to impute values to a dichotomous variable coded 1 if individuals were employed and 0 if they were not.

First, does the impute command treat all the predictor variables in the same way that a regression command does? More specifically, if I am using a set of dummy variables, do I omit one category? I ask this because I was doing some test runs and I included ALL variables in the impute command and it did not give me the message "variable was dropped due to collinearity."
It doesn't matter. It will basically drop a variable for you, even though it does not say so.

Second, is there a way to specify the impute command to round imputed values either to 1 or 0 depending on the prediction (e.g. predicted values 0 - .49 become 0 and values .50-1 become 1) ?
You could just follow the impute command with a recode command. Keep in mind that the imputed values could be less than 0 or greater than 1. So, something like

Recode y (min/.50 = 0)(.50/max = 1)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227