st: Random Group Resampling

From   Gabriel Kaplan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Random Group Resampling
Date   Wed, 12 May 2004 13:08:49 -0600 (MDT)

Does anyone know of a user created ado file to implement Bliese's RGR
(Random Group Resampling) procedure?

Essentially, this involves randomly creating pseudo groups of equal size
to the groups in your data by reassigning the observations to groups
randomly.  One then calculates test statistics for the pseudo groups such
as mean and variance and contrasts these with the means and variances of
the actual groups.

I am interested in running RGR in STATA.  Bliese wrote some programming
language for S-Plus, but I wanted to try this in STATA.  Before I go off
and try to implement this, has anyone done this? More info is available
at:

Paul D. Bliese and Ronald R. Halverson. 2002. "Using Random Group
Resampling in multilevel research*1: An example of the buffering effects
of leadership climate" in Leadership Quarterly, (13(1):53-68.

My sense is I will need to run a combination of SIMUL and BSTRAP 1000
times to get this done.  I know that the Boston College Archive maintains some
ado files for random group variance estimators labeled RGROUP and RANVAR,
but I am not sure this is the same thing since it is form the economics
literature and RGR is from the organizational literature.  Any ideas?

Gabriel Kaplan

Gabriel E. Kaplan
Assistant Professor of Public Affairs
University of Colorado