st: Re: How do I do -local macroname = var1 if var2==value

From   "Naheed Mirza" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: How do I do -local macroname = var1 if var2==value
Date   Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:56:11 +0200

Renzo Comolli

I would like to do the following thing

. local macroname = var1 if var2==value

This is not legal syntax though. I looked on [U] and [P]
to see if there were any extended macro function to help me
but I did not find any. I know for a fact that value referred
to in the if-condition is going always to be unique. I tried
the following work around but for some reason (that I don't
understand) it does not work either (it returns a missing even
if I know for a fact that it should return a number)

. tempvar var1
. gen `var1'=var1 if var2==value
. local macroname = `var1'[1]

>>> This should work:

if var2[1] == value local macroname "var1"

But note that the test must be of a single value.
Stata can't cope with a variable-full of trues or