RE: st: ORs for non-rare outcomes

From   "Hansell, Anna L" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ORs for non-rare outcomes
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:39:05 +0100

For some types of case-control study design it should be appropriate to obtain estimates of relative risk or relative rate for common diseases.  I suggest reading the paper by "Case-Control Designs in the Study of Common Diseases: Updates on the demise of the rare disease assumption and the choice of sampling schemes for controls" by Laura Rodrigues and Betty Kirkwood in the International Journal of Epidemiology 1990;19(1):205-213.  I have never used this myself, but the paper is set out very clearly.

Best wishes
Anna Hansell
Imperial College London

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Marcello
Pagano
Sent: 08 April 2004 11:25
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: ORs for non-rare outcomes

Some have this aversion to odds which is difficult to understand. Odds
are just as natural as probabilities, ask anyone at a race track.
Indeed, as someone pointed out, here is a sector of society not known
for its intelligence, punters, who understand odds thoroughly, but
health scientists, some even pursuing a Nobel, for some reason cannot
understand odds?  It does not compute.

This is especially troublesome with case control studies because odds
ratios are estimable but relative risks are not.  This is inherent in
the design of a case control study, something that is immutable.

Someone made the observation that for rare diseases the OR and the RR
are approximately equal. Unfortunately, this crutch has had the stunting
effect of not dealing with odds ratios as the natural measure that they are.

Make odds even with risk!

m.p.