Re: st: Stat/Transfer

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Stat/Transfer
Date   Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:43:10 -0500

At 11:17 AM 3/31/2004 +1000, Jason Payne wrote:
Dear all,

Does anyone in this forum use Stat/Transfer 7... and if so, should I be able to transfer the value labels and variable lables from an SPSS data (.sav) file to a Stata(.dta) file?

I was under the assumption that this was a function of the Stat/transfer program - however cannot perform this task or find any information about how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Jason P
I do it all the time Jason. What exactly is the problem you are having? There are various ways to do it. For my own part, I just start Stat/Transfer, click on the transfer tab, and then choose the import and export file types and file specifications. You can also run Stat/transfer from within Stata (at least if the necessary ado files are installed); type -help stcmd-.

Do you perhaps mean that you want to save ONLY the labels? If so, I suppose I would convert the files, and then delete everything except the first case (and then delete it once I had added my real data).

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu