Re: st: Urgent: Saving Coefficient

From   "Dev Vencappa" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Urgent: Saving Coefficient
Date   Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:26:57 +0000

Thank a lot Dev. But I ran into a rather weird problem while applying it to real data. It seems that the loop abruptly stops whenever their are  missing values for variables used in the regression. In my case, the data starts with e.g. BAN and gdp for BAN is all missing like this:

Country Code	Year	GDP
 BAN	        1960	.
 BAN	        1965	.
 BAN	        1970	.

The loop does not produce any result and gives "no observation" and just stops.

Any suggestions?

Kakatua
I tired with some fake data where I had missing values for a variable and could not replicate this problem . But try to add an extra condition in the loop, which is to ignore observations that  have missing values for GDP. Therefore, your new loop would be:

 use data
 sort countrycode year
 encode countrycode,gen(id)
 tsset id year
 gen coeff=.
 forv id=1/2 {
 reg gdp year
 replace coeff=_b[year] if id==`id' & gdp!=.
 }

Give that a try.