RE: st: concatenate, leading zeros

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: concatenate, leading zeros
Date   Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:07:22 -0000

I am unclear what Daphna is doing here.

A format like "%02s" can only be applied to
string variables. In my experiments, it has
the effect of inserting leading spaces in the
display, not leading zeros. (Or what I am doing wrong,
or misunderstanding?)

However, the display format as set by -format-
has no effect on the values of a variable.

Hugh's advice, which we can revise to

gen str14 newvar =
	string(var1,"%02.0f") +
	string(var2,"%05.0f") +
	string(var3,"%07.0f")

is on the contrary appropriate to _numeric_
variables.

Note that -egen, concat()- won't work here,
as it is crucial that different formats are used.

Hugh Davies replied to Daphna Bassok

Try:

Gen str14 newvar = string(var1,"%02.0f") + string(var1,"%05.0f") + string(var1,"%07.0f")