Re: st: case conversion

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: case conversion
Date   Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:12:34 -0500

At 04:37 PM 3/21/2004 -0500, Eric Uslaner wrote:
Hi all,

I have some country names in a data set.  I want to convert the names
in the variable "country" from all upper case to first letter upper and
the rest lower (e.g., "ALBANIA"becomes "Albania").  I have found the
string functions lower and upper, but I don't see any option to convert
just the first letter.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Ric Uslaner
Actually, this may be what you want:

. replace country = proper(country)

"proper(s) returns a string with the first letter capitalized and any other letters immediately following characters that are not letters capitalized, and all other letters converted to lower case."

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu