Re: st: OT: your favorite math equations editor

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: OT: your favorite math equations editor
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:42:39 -0600 (CST)

I use a program called Scientific WorkPlace, which is LaTeX-based word
processor that integrates writing mathematics and text in the same
environment. Although it's not fully WYSIWYG, the equations are perfectly
legible and easy to edit (unlike in Microsoft Word Eq. Editor or typing
TeX by hand and compiling it). They have a trial version if you're
curious (http://www.mackichan.com). I don't think it's as easy to learn as
MS Word, but I've grown to prefer it over any other word processor I've
ever used. You can even convert WorkPlace files to Word if you like.

WorkPlace offers many shells (templates that control how your document
looks), and the there are several slide shells that are useful for making
presentations. Moreover, it's very easy to embed Stata graphs in WorkPlace
documents (as ps or wmf files). There are also several ways to convert
Stata output to TeX tables (though this usually requires editing the TeX
by hand). When it comes to making presentations, I prefer to make a pdf of
my talk using Adobe Acrobat and use the Full Screen Mode when projecting
it.

The downside is that it is fairly expensive. There is a cheaper version
called SciWord that does not have a  built-in computer algebra engine
called MuPAD. The nice thing about MuPAD is that uses natural mathematical
notation. This means that if you type an integral you can evaluate it by
pressing a button. If you want to plot y=f(x) or even y=f(x,z), you can
also do it quite easily.

DVM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Mary (Merlin) Marshall wrote:

> Greetings Statalist,
>
> I have a collegue who teaches dynamic and thermodynamic meteorology at Ohio
> State University.  His operating system is Micro$oft Win2000 (maybe
> Win98).  He has been thinking about using Powerpoint to teach his classes,
> but his lectures involve deriving lots of equations and he does not have a
> good equation editor.  This equation editor would also be used to generate
> equations in research articles for publication in meteorology journals.
>
> So, I have a question for all of you using the Windows operating system who
> must write a lot of equations in your publications, lectures, etc. What
> editor would you recommend/what is your favorite editor?  If you have
> experience with more than one equation editor, what were the pluses and
> minuses of each?
>
> Thanks,
> Merlin Marshall
> [email protected]