Re: st: RE: OT: your favorite math equations editor

From   Daniel Feenberg <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: OT: your favorite math equations editor
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:51:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Nick Cox wrote:

> By "equation editor" you may mean some add-on software designed
> to compensate for the inadequacies of word processing
> software in this respect. (To be fair, does any word processor
> claim excellence on this criterion?) I can't comment on those,
> as I've never used any. However, I know that many people have
> struggled with the fact that their word processor uses different
> systems for displayed equations and in-text mathematics, so that
> even on a simple level it is difficult if not impossible to use
> identical fonts. That may be folklore; however,
> I've never heard of a satisfactory solution to this problem
> except not using a word processor to prepare mathematical
> documents.

Word Perfect has had a very nice equation editor since 1989 (version 5.1).
It does use the same fonts/mechanism for inline and displayed equations,
and it makes editing complex multilevel equations rather simple. You can
write out the equation in linear format "{a sub b} over {c sup d}" and
it handles everything. You can edit the linear form, and the displayed
form changes to match, very much like TeX, but instant.