Re: st: likelihood ratio test error message

From   Richard Williams <>
To, <>
Subject   Re: st: likelihood ratio test error message
Date   Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:25:45 -0500

At 09:11 PM 3/5/2004 -0600, Rivera, Semilla  M. wrote:

I am attempting to run a lrtest in STATA and get the following error message. What can I do?

Thank you.
Semilla Rivera

. lrtest, using (1)

observations differ: 2098 vs. 2216
I think it probably means that the samples used for your 2 models are not the same. Perhaps adding some variables caused some cases to drop out? If so, a possible solution might be something like

logit y x1 x2 x3 x4
estimates store model1
logit y x1 x2 if e(sample)
estimates store model2

That is, run the model with the most missing cases first, and then restrict the subsequent models to those cases.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu