st: Re: double-clicking on *.gph

From (Alan Riley)
Subject   st: Re: double-clicking on *.gph
Date   Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:05:58 -0600

Sascha O. Becker ( asked about double-clicking
on a .gph file in Windows:
> when double-clicking on a Stata 8 graph (saved as *.gph) in Windows
> Explorer, I get the error message
> graph using "D:\yl_occ.gph"
> graph using is no longer supported; type graph use ... to use a Stata 8
> graph, or graph7 using ... to use an old format, Stata 7 graph.
> r(198);

When Stata first starts, it installs some registry settings which control
what happens when a user double-clicks on a Stata file (.dta, .gph, .do,
.smcl).  For .gph files, Stata 8 puts

    graph use "%1"

into the registry, where %1 is replaced with the name of the file
which is double-clicked by the user.  Stata 7 would put

    graph using "%1"

Given Sascha's description, I believe that Stata 7 must have been
run on the computer at some point after Stata 8 was installed.  To
restore the default Stata 8 registry settings for file associations,
Sascha should start Stata 8, pull down the Prefs menu, and select
Restore File Associations.