st: RE: Tobit using svy commands

From   "Reza Daniels" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Tobit using svy commands
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:50:51 -0800

Dear Adam,

Be sure when using -svyintreg- that you are aware of the differences between
a standard Tobit model (for example, in Greene WH, 2000: "Econometric
Analysis 4th Edition", Pg 911) and the interval regression model for which
-svyintreg- was written (see Stata manuals). In addition, note that when
incorporating complex survey design features into your model, it no longer
becomes possible to interpret the coefficients of the -svyintreg- results in
the same way as a Tobit model (see also Maddala, 1983, Pg 160), since your
likelihood function becomes a pseudo likelihood.

My former colleague and I have used -svyintreg- to estimate an earnings
function where the dependant variable (income) was grouped into intervals
(e.g. $1000-$2000), had actual (point) observations and zero (left censored)
observations. The strength of -svyintreg- is that all of these data types
can be accommodated, but in doing so the model changes to a generalisation
of the Tobit model and the equations differ in important ways.

Reza C. Daniels
Ph.D. Candidate, School of Economics
University of Cape Town, South Africa