RE: st: Making saveold a permanent option

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Making saveold a permanent option
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:52:38 -0000

We're taking up debating roles here. I naturally agree
about the attractions of maximum compatibility, and the
history of StataCorp has been very good in this respect.
I can't comment on MS Word, which I try very hard not to use.
However, MS seems to have a problem in that many users cannot even
see the advantage in upgrading, while it is hard to imagine
a Stata user who would not want to upgrade if cost were no
issue (unless they're about to abandon statistical computing
for a real life).

A few extra points:

1. The differences between Stata 7 and Stata 8 are more
than just technicalities that StataCorp knows how to handle.
It's misleading to downplay this given the differences in
content between 7 and 8 data files, e.g. in representation
of missing values, etc.

2. The next equally understandable requests are that someone
wants to be able to read Stata/SE files on their Stata,
or Stata 8 files in Stata 6, etc., etc. (And I can sympathise
with those whose domestic budgets don't stretch to getting fresh
personal licenses for home.) But where is the line drawn?
More generally, the marketing case seems dubious here. Stata gives
freebies when it suits -- not least updates between releases --
but we're a long way into Stata 8 now. Why should
StataCorp divert attention on behalf of people who won't upgrade?
The cost here is diversion of developer resources from worthwhile
projects that favour loyal customers, and people who won't pay
have no leverage on StataCorp -- especially if the freebie makes
it even less likely that they will upgrade!

3. Sharing data files is often best done using some ASCII
file, as may be essential if the other people are not Stata users.
That can make the issue of versions irrelevant.