Re: st: Computing marginal effects

From   "Tamas Bartus (tbartus)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Computing marginal effects
Date   Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:56:57 +0100

Lok Wong <[email protected]> asks:

> After I estimated a multinomial logit model, I wanted to calculate
> the marginal effects..and I used
> - mfx -....However, it took forever to do that...After I stopped
> it, STATA
> said that "fail in calculating second derivative, no standard
> deviation reported"...Why this happened? How to solve it?

The error message is due to the fact that mfx computes derivatives numerically and
for some reasons the computations broke down.

A possible solution is the use of my program -margin- that is faster than mfx.
You can download it using net-aware Stata by typing

   net from http://www.bke.hu/bartus/stata
   etc.

Tamas

Tamas Bartus, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology and Social Policy
Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration
1093 Budapest, Fovam ter 8.
Phone: +36-1-217-51-72        Fax:   +36-1-217-44-82
Homepage: http://www.bke.hu/bartus