Re: st: Computing marginal effects

From   "Tamas Bartus (tbartus)" <>
Subject   Re: st: Computing marginal effects
Date   Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:56:57 +0100

Lok Wong <> asks:

> After I estimated a multinomial logit model, I wanted to calculate
> the marginal effects..and I used
> - mfx -....However, it took forever to do that...After I stopped
> it, STATA
> said that "fail in calculating second derivative, no standard
> deviation reported"...Why this happened? How to solve it?

The error message is due to the fact that mfx computes derivatives numerically and
for some reasons the computations broke down.

A possible solution is the use of my program -margin- that is faster than mfx.
You can download it using net-aware Stata by typing

   net from

Tamas Bartus, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology and Social Policy
Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration
1093 Budapest, Fovam ter 8.
Phone: +36-1-217-51-72        Fax:   +36-1-217-44-82