st: Frequencies and string variables

From   Robin Newberry <>
Subject   st: Frequencies and string variables
Date   Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:42:10 -0500

Here's a dumb newbie question: how do I generate frequencies of string variables?

What I have is data with gender coded as "M" or "F", and I want to know the relative frequencies. Were I in SAS, I'd use Proc Freq, but the same approach doesn't seem to worth with Stata. A little help, please?
W. Robert Newberry, IV CIH, CHMM
Chief Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Clemson University
* For searches and help try: