Re: Re: st: Is Stata used for spatial statistics/GIS?

From   Liv Osland <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: Is Stata used for spatial statistics/GIS?
Date   Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:26:01 +0100

Dear statalist,
Has anybody used Stata to estimate Moran's I?
The problem is what to do when there are many
observations (for instance 3000).

Liv

-----Original Message-----
From: "Michael Blasnik" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:59:23 -0500
Subject: Re: st: Is Stata used for spatial statistics/GIS?

You should check out nearest.ado on SSC (by Nick Cox).  It will identify the
nearest neighbor (Euclidian distance).  I have written an alternate version
that allow a globe option (for spherical distances) and is much faster on
larger datasets (avoids brute-force N*N loop).   If you find nearest too
slow or need global distances, I can email you my program.  Either program
could probably be revised to identify all observations within a certain
distance, but it is not clear how it would deal with cases where there are
many observations meeting the criteria (just list them out? or create many
added variables to hold their identities?)

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]