Re: st: Is Stata used for spatial statistics/GIS?

From   "Tim R. Sass" <>
Subject   Re: st: Is Stata used for spatial statistics/GIS?
Date   Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:19:17 -0500

There is a user-written ado file available on the SSC site, sphdist, that will compute the spherical distance between two points based on the latitude and longitude of each. Otherwise, I am unaware of any GIS-type routines within Stata. If anyone out there has written an ado file to list the identities of observations within a specified distance of another observation (eg. given a listing of hospitals and their latitude/longitude, calculating which hospitals are within 5 miles of hospital A), I would be interested in knowing about it.