Re: st: Transformations

From   Richard Williams <>
To, <>
Subject   Re: st: Transformations
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:53:14 -0500

At 11:43 AM 2/11/2004 +1100, Jason Payne wrote:
Dear STATAlistservers

I am trying to transform data in variables. What is the equivalent STATA syntax for this SPSS command

if (var1=2) var2=1.
Stata does things kind of backwards from SPSS:

gen var2 = 1 if var1==2

Note the ==

If var2 already exists, instead say

replace var2 = 1 if var1==2

But, what do you want when var1 does not equal 2? Missing? A 0-1 dichotomy? There may be some other ways to approach this, depending on what your ultimate goal is.

This syntax only works if you want to create a new variable, however in some cases I might with to modify an existing variable for one case only. This is particularly useful in cleaning string variables where there are spelling mistakes. In SPSS I would just type:

if (caseid=1) stringvar='SPSS'.
if (caseid=2) stringvar='STATA'.
replace stringvar="SPSS" in 1
replace stringvar="STATA" in 2

I'm assuming these are the first and second cases in your data. If not necessarily so, and caseid is a variable in your data set, then try

replace stringvar="SPSS" if caseid==1
replace stringvar="STATA" if caseid==2

Or, just go in to the data editor and do it! Lot easier sometimes really.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu