st: Sensitivity of non-parametric tests to N

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Sensitivity of non-parametric tests to N
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:34:09 +0100

Dear stata-listers,

I have a variable T (which is time to failure) for a binary failure event. I
wish to test whether five groups, assumed to be homogenous, have the same
survivor function. So,  I have tried using:

sts test group, logrank 	<assuming proportional hazards>

sts test group, wilcoxon	<assuming hazards vary in ways other than
proportionally and censoring patterns are similar across groups>

sts test group, peto		<<assuming hazards vary in ways other than
proportionally and censoring patterns are different across groups>

All of these tests results indicate lack of equality  (i.e. p-values <
0.05). I was wondering could that in part due to the sizeable groups  I have
(about 120-200 patients per group), or is that real evidence of inequality
in survivor functions.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Amani