st: RE: turnip plot

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: turnip plot
Date   Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:36:24 -0000

. search turnip

will point to a source. However, it is difficult
to see what -turnip- can do that other graphs cannot
do better, in some respects much better.

Official -dotplot- with the -center- option does
something very similar, and has been ported to
the new Stata graphics, and as such is much
more flexible. In Stata 6 or Stata 7, there
are earlier versions.

Tom Steichen's -violin- offers something similar,
but with extra features. As far as I am aware,
that remains oldstyle graphics.

In addition, -onewayplot- from SSC offers
a loosely similar plot with some extra features.
That uses new graphics.

This is not to mention graphs making use of
kernel density estimates, etc.

In any case, -turnip- won't work in Stata 7
or Stata 8, even under version control, due
to a syntax change that renders some personal
programming idioms illegal. This could be fixed
easily if it turned out that there was a good
reason to do it.

Even if you are in Stata 6 or Stata 7,
I just recommend using -dotplot- or -violin-
instead. In Stata 8, there is more choice.