st: Question: Fuzzy/approximate string matching

From   Brendan_Miller@harvard.edu
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Question: Fuzzy/approximate string matching
Date   Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:17:32 -0500

A question: I am interested in merging two data files based on a string
field that contains organization names. Unfortunately, the names are not
listed equivalently in both databases (e.g. "The Miller Corporation" in one
vs. "Miller Corp." in the other).

Is there a fuzzy/approximate string matching function that would recognize
these two names as the same company that I could use to facilitate this
merge? Please let me know.

Thank you for your assistance,

Brendan

Brendan Miller
Research Fellow
The Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations
Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government
79 John F. Kennedy Street, BT 206
Cambridge, MA  02138
Phone: (617) 495-3503
Fax: (617) 495-0996