st: Re: Re: Interpretation of marginal effects in mlogit

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Re: Interpretation of marginal effects in mlogit
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:23:16 -0600

It is true that for multinomial logit models, the marginal effects can change
sign depending on where the independent variables are being evaluated.  I would
recommend "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables Using Stata,
Revised Edition" by J. Scott Long, Jeremy Freese.  They have provided a series
of useful commands for the post-estimation interpretation for discrete dependent
models.  These can be located within Stata by typing -findit spostado-  In
particular you may find -prchange- useful, which will compute the change in the
predicted probability for a discrete change in the independent variable.

Another possibility would be calculate the average of the marginal effects,
try -findit margin-

Hope this helps,
Scott