st: Re: Interpretation of marginal effects in mlogit

From   Tesfayi Gebre <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Interpretation of marginal effects in mlogit
Date   Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:12:57 -0800 (PST)

Dear Statalister,

I used multinomial logit regression to estimate
occupational choice model (I have 5 possibilities).
However, the interpretation of both the estimated
coefficients and the marginals is not straight
forward. Econometrics books, such as Green (2000) warn
against using the estimates for interpretation. For
instance, Powers and Xie (2000) recommend using the
odd-ratios for interpretation (since the marginals may
not have the same sign as the coefficients).

My question is how do you interpret the marginals from
mlogit? If the results are difficult for
interpretation, then what is the benefit of using
mlogit?

Best regards
Tesfayi