st: Basic Q on Logistic Regression

Subject   st: Basic Q on Logistic Regression
Date   Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:43:28 -0800 (PST)

When using logit and logistic commands, can I have non-binary values for
my independent variable and controls?  For example, for each
observation in my data set, I have the variable "age" and their ages (14,
15, 16...). If so, is there a limit on what the numbers can be or what form they can

Can I just go ahead and use the data in the following way...

For condom use as the dependent variable, and controlling for several
variables (including interaction):

logit uses_condoms age gender age*gender

You will notice there's an interaction term in there.  Can I have
interaction terms with non-binary variables (such as age here as I'd like
to use it).

In reading up on this, the only thing I've discovered is that you can have
only 0s and 1s for your dependent variable.

Thanks so much for your input!  I'm trying to figure this out for my

Azadeh Khatibi
UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program