RE: st: sysdir set for do-files or datasets ?

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: sysdir set for do-files or datasets ?
Date   Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:04:49 -0500

Just to add in my two cents' worth...

I find these little programs useful for moving up, over, or to the root. You can make them into ados, but I just put them into my profile.do. (That saves disk space, though that is not really a problem any more.) The amount of typing they save is small, but they make navigation natural, as I think of going up or over in the tree. (They don't save much typing; they save thinking.) I could have also made a -down- program, but it would just be the same as -cd-, so I didn't bother with it.

Incidentally, I have arranged for the same commands to work in my command prompt.

-- David

capture prog drop up
prog def up
/* move up in the directory tree */
cd ..
end

capture prog drop over
prog def over
/* move over in the directory tree */
cd ..\\`1'
end

capture prog drop root
prog def root
/* move to the root in the directory tree */
cd \\
end

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies