Re: st: dialog parsing

From   [email protected] (James Hassell, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: dialog parsing
Date   Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:23:08 -0600

Sophie wrote:

>One part of my command line reads ...... hr( #1; #2) where #1 stands for a
>hazard ratio for example and #2 stands for the specific period. However, I
>want the user to be able to say    p2=1    on the dialog window. Is it
>possible to extract the information from this statement in the code for the
>overall dialog window or do I have to refer to another ado file to do this
>operation?

Sophie also sent this question to Stata technical support where I responded
with the following:

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if it is possible
to parse a string that the user has entered into a dialog EDIT box. The
answer to that question is no, because there is not a mechanism for string
manipulation within the dialog language.

You might want to take a look at -stcurve-. I think that dialog handles
similar syntax to what you have described.

James